Friday, August 18, 2006

What this War Really Means


Since the beginning of the hostilities, I have refrained from posting images from war-torn Lebanon out of respect for those who died and those who are left behind in mourning. It may come as a shock to many, but I am generally a very private person and in keeping with my Mediterranean roots, I am not one that shows emotions easily.

However, today, I fell on this picture in the New York Times that spoke to me about the true meaning of this war and for that matter any war. As I listen to George Bush, Ehud Olmert, Condoleeza Rice, Hassan Nasrallah and others competing for media attention and claim of victory, I wonder what the man in the picture above has to say today.

This man may be just another Shiite to some, he could also be just another Jew to others, or another Israeli, and maybe yet another Lebanese. To me, this picture is about a man, a human being that is crying the loss of someone dear to him, another human being. And this is what this war about.

Today, I don't see opportunities. Today, I don't see hope. Today, I see pain. Today I see Loss.

Today, I am braking with my traditions and roots. Today, this is even more personal. Today was the day I cried.

M-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home